10.14.2009

New in 20009...

No I did not accidentally type an extra zero in this title. 20009 means I'm officially a new resident of a new zip code! Though I'll miss the people with whom I spent such great times up in New England, it was time for a new change of scenery and a career redirection. So, two weeks ago I relocated from Cambridge, MA to our nation's capital...

(This poster is from www.orkposters.com. I have this one... I love it and I love this designer!)

Now here's the thing... I have never lived alone. I've always had (awesome) roommates, and before roommates I shared a place with two parents, a sister, and a dog. So needless to say, some things have been new to me. For instance, I'm not familiar with being able to see every square inch of my apartment in one quick scan (it's a tiny studio). I'm not used to cooking on a stove that resembles an Easy Bake Oven. I'm also not accustomed to locking myself into a room for an evening, waking up to the voice of Liam Gallagher as he screams "...and so Sally can wait" at 6:30am from the stereo of my courteous neighbor, or staring at my plants due to the absence of a television. Yeah, it's been a bit of an adjustment. Though this picture I paint might not seem so great, to be completely fair I have (for the most part) really enjoyed this new lifestyle!

My first order of business when moving in to my new studio was to go all Ty Pennington on the joint and then do what I love to do... snap some photos of it!

Here's the before...



... and the after!

The key to this layout was to hide my bed behind my book shelves. My top priority with this place was to not feel like my entire studio was a bedroom. When you have that kind of setup, it is extremely hard to have guests over and have them and you feel comfortable in the space. The bookshelves did a great job dividing the room leaving a private sleeping nook and a well defined living room. My favorite part of this apartment is my MANtastic new leather couch and the image hanging above it. You might recognize it from a previous post! Here's the view from the couch.

The windows on the left of this photo bring in great light for the entire space. Without 5 foot windows, I think the apartment would feel really dark and cavernous.

Thanks for checking out my new digs and drop me a line if you like what you see. Now that my life is settling down into a routine I hope to post more photos of my adventures in the weeks to come.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: