1.15.2009

On My Way to DC for Obama's Inauguration: A pre-inauguration post

On Tuesday, January 20th, I will be one of the millions in attendance for the inauguration of our 44th President, Barack Obama. I've been waiting almost four and a half years for this day, and for others, the events on Tuesday have been generations in the making. Please return to The Viewfinder in a couple weeks for an inauguration post. Don't expect any photos of the man himself as I won't be anywhere near him. However, I hope to piece together a nice photo essay of the people there to witness the day.

Here's a quick collection of some Obama campaign events that I revisited this afternoon.

Barack Obama speaking in the Boston Common, October 23, 2007.

The crowd behind the stage on the night that Sen. Ted Kennedy, Caroline Kennedy, and Sen. John Kerry officially endorsed Obama.
Though horribly out of focus, the movement in this photo really captured the electricity in the hall.

"The fierce urgency of now."

Ron English is an American pop artist who joined the many artists who created visual street art in support of Barack Obama. The above photo is a shot from the now iconic piece, "Abraham Obama" that was installed in the South End in Boston this fall. Though I'm not a big fan of his other works, this piece is genius. English deconstructed the classic portrait of Abraham Lincoln to include the likeness of Obama. A graffiti-ist added the eye patch. The overall feel makes me a bit uneasy, but the concept is classic.

No comments: